After looking backward at the year that just ended, I’d like to look forward to 2014, and list out 5 things I hope will come to pass in the musical world. They’re not predictions, just my silly wishful thinking.
- I hope a few rock bands that have been working their asses off for years will finally get the success they deserve. Namely: King’s X, The Trews and Red Wanting Blue. If any of these names doesn’t ring a bell, please check them out NOW. Well, after you finish reading my article.
- I hope that U2’s new album will be good, and more in line with their early stuff. Because you know that when they tour they’ll play a shitload of tracks off of it, whether or not they’re any good.
- I hope that in 2014, manufactured pop stars will stop trying to establish their credibility by doing stunts that have nothing to do with music (see Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber in 2013). Prove yourselves on stage and in the studio! That goes for Lady Gaga too: she’s immensely talented, but seems to forget the music at times.
- I hope that in 2014, rock bands will remember to have fun. I’m not asking to go back to the careless 80’s, but for heaven’s sake, you have the best job in the world, so show it a little!
- This one is longer term, but let’s start with 2014: I hope John Williams lives long enough to score the next Star Wars Trilogy. It wouldn’t be the same without him! (But at 90 years old, I fear we’ll need a replacement before it’s over)
What do you hope for in the musical new year?
Thank you to all my readers, and I wish for a great 2014 for you all!
- I bought one of those music Advent Calendars so you wouldn’t have to. - December 5, 2021
- The Music Addict’s Band Name Challenge - October 11, 2021
- Book review: Rainbow in the Dark: The Autobiography – Ronnie James Dio - September 24, 2021