I was really sceptical of the idea of a new Black Sabbath album with Ozzy on vocals, 35 years after Never Say Die (their last album with Ozzy). But the first single, God is Dead?, is really good. Thundering riffs from Tony Iommi and classic vocals from Ozzy make this track a worthy addition to the Sabbath canon (much more than the 2 studio tracks included on 1998’s Reunion album)
But the song goes on for too long. Much has been said about the fact that all the songs on the album are quite long (most are over 5 minutes, with 5 clocking above 7 minutes), but at 8:52, God Is Dead? is about 3 and half minutes too long. They’re paying Rick Rubin a lot of money to produce this record; he should have made them trim the fat and make it more concise.
I love long songs; hey, I’m a huge prog rock fan, so it comes with the territory. But you need the material the support the length. In this case it’s not there. But I’m still looking forward to the album!
- Producer Rick Rubin Lifts The Lid On BLACK SABBATH’s 13 – “The History And Myth Of Sabbath Loomed Large And Everybody Really Wanted To Do It Justice” (bravewords.com)
- OZZY OSBOURNE On New BLACK SABBATH Album: ‘I Could Do Every One Of These Tracks Live On Stage’ (blabbermouth.net)
- BLACK SABBATH Shoot Scenes For CSI Episode; Behind-The-Scenes Video Posted (bravewords.com)
- I bought one of those music Advent Calendars so you wouldn’t have to. - December 5, 2021
- The Music Addict’s Band Name Challenge - October 11, 2021
- Book review: Rainbow in the Dark: The Autobiography – Ronnie James Dio - September 24, 2021